Book review: The Krishna Key



The blurb said this: “Five thousand years ago, there came to earth a magical being called Krishna, who brought about innumerable miracles for the good of mankind. Humanity despaired of its fate if the Blue God were to die but was reassured that he would return in a fresh avatar when needed in the eventual Dark Age—the Kaliyug.
In modern times, a poor little rich boy grows up believing that he is that final avatar.
Only, he is a serial killer.”
This was suitably enough to promise me a marriage of Da Vinci code and Sherlock Holmes. I had heard about Sanghi's first novel, The Rozabal Line, self-published in 2007 under his pseudonym, Shawn Haigins. The theological thriller based upon the theory that Jesus died in Kashmir was followed by his second Chanakya's Chant, a political thriller with roots in ancient Mauryan history. I had my reservations when I picked up The Krishna Key, thinking about forced coincidences and plots, but I have to say I was not so disappointed.

For me, the book starts really well. Till the first half I was hooked and wondering what comes next. The characters were believable and interesting, the twists kept me hooked. I pretty much did not put the book down till the second or third murder. I was biting my nails when they were on the boat or in the roadside dhaba. I was on the edge of my futon when Tarak made his entry!

It was the second half where the clichés got to me a bit. Why would Ravi leave the scientist alone in the car? Why wouldn’t he doubt every time Priya called her father, though she knew those calls were tapped by the police? How can Taarak’s parents have no bloody clue what their son was up to? How can Sir Khan be killed so easily by Priya – given he was some underworld Don with infinite power? How can Sunil Garg be so lame to force a bank manager make a hoax call – didn’t he fear being tracked? And please, for God’s sake! Agra and Taj Mahal! That’s where it got too Bollywoody for me! And not to forget, I really really wanted something more meaningful to come out of the short narrative pieces by Krishna splattered throughout the book. It would have a dream come true if the two stories converged at home point with Krishna and Ravi turning out to be twin conspiracy theorists, or if I am not imagining too much then for them to turn out into the same person!

Even still, all said and done, the book was surely something that left an impact on me. I enjoyed the twist on Mahabharata – it was unexpected and pleasantly surprising at many points. I pitied the poor scientists dying one after the other. They really should have saved at least Kurkede!

Looking forward to seeing it on the big screen now!

This review is a part of the Book Reviews Program at BlogAdda.com. Participate now to get free books!

Comments

Popular Posts